Metropolis is the architecture and design industry’s most compelling storyteller. We take our audiences behind the scenes, explain breakthrough ideas, and keep them ahead of the curve. Through our in-depth print stories, lively digital platform, and nationwide event series, we tackle the biggest challenges and opportunities in architecture and design, from technology disruption to sustainability and climate change.
The Associate Editor, one of two such editors at Metropolis, plans and produces front-of-book content and web content. Additionally, the associate editor supports key editorial projects including the NYCxDESIGN magazine, the Official Guide to NYCxDESIGN, and Specify.
The associate editor reports to the Editor in Chief, and works closely with the creative team on content planning and production.
- Collaborate with the other Associate Editor to plan front-of-book content and columns for the magazine.
- Write magazine columns and features as required.
- Collaborate with the editorial team on all content planning.
- Share web editorial duties and social media duties with the other editors, including assigning and posting web-only stories on a regular basis.
- Work with the Senior Editor and the Marketing editor on NYCxDESIGN magazine, the Official Guide to NYCxDESIGN, Specify, and other special projects as necessary.
- Takes on writing tasks as directed by the Editor in Chief.
- Contribute feature articles, columns, and web-only stories on a wide range of topics.
- Cultivate writers and freelancers who can reliably produce high quality content for Metropolis and other SANDOW brands.
- Be a resource for other SANDOW brands when appropriate.
- Bachelor’s degree with at least three years of experience in writing or editing in architecture, design, or related fields OR a research/writing oriented Master’s degree in art, design, or architecture.
- Knowledge of architecture and interior design.
- Strong collaborative attitude, and high sense of quality in content production.
- Superior writing, editing, and communication skills.
- High motivation and ability to identify; plan; and execute projects through collaboration with a small team.
SANDOW was founded by visionary entrepreneur, Adam Sandow, in 2003 with the goal of building a truly innovative media company that would reinvent the traditional publishing model. Today, SANDOW is a fully integrated solutions platform powering innovation for the design and luxury industries. Its diverse portfolio of design media and technology companies include Interior Design, Luxe Interiors + Design, Metropolis, Galerie, and NewBeauty. Materials Innovation brands include global materials consultancy, Material ConneXion, and game-changing material sampling, logistics and sustainability platform, Material Bank. SANDOW brands also include a research and strategy firm, ThinkLab. In 2019, SANDOW was selected by the New York Economic Development Corporation to become the official operator of NYCxDESIGN, beginning in 2020.