Material Bank is a new business unit within SANDOW that is setting out to change the way A&D specifiers get their work done. Using the platform, architects and designers can perform complex searches across hundreds of manufacturers in seconds. Samples can then be requested and delivered the next morning!
If being a part of building a game changing, new business within an established parent company excites you, take a look at what Material Bank has to offer.
In this role, the Material Research Specialist will be responsible for material cataloging within a comprehensive database that he/she will help to manage and update. The successful candidate will have a vast depth of knowledge and expertise in identifying materials within specific categories (i.e. flooring, textiles, tile, wallcovering, etc.) and their attributes.
- Evaluate materials and tag related attributes within an online database
- Assess imagery and collateral information related to each material for accuracy and relevance
- Maintain and update database by performing continual research
- 2+ years’ experience conducting material specification and/or researching materials (within a least one core material category)
- A passion for materials and love for the design industry
- Have a current and comprehensive understanding of the design and materials industry
- Skilled in the art of visually inspecting materials and identifying key attributes, such as the brand and type of manufacturing
- Familiarity with material fabrication and finishing processes
- Some knowledge of performance and building standard for commercial interiors within the United States
- Basic understanding of material ingredients and their environmental and health impacts
- Ability to work quickly and accurately with an open and adaptable work ethic – flexible to changing priorities and deadlines
- Detail oriented and highly organized with digital mediums
- Ability to understand and interpret performance test reports
- Having held a position as a Resource Librarian, Interior Designer or Material Developer is a plus
- Active participation in industry associations, attendance at trade shows, or other industry related originations
SANDOW was founded by visionary entrepreneur Adam Sandow in 2003 with the goal of building a truly innovative media company that would reinvent the traditional publishing model. Today, SANDOW is a fully integrated solutions platform that includes leading design content, tools, and services, powering innovation for the design industry. Its diverse portfolio of media assets includes Interior Design, Luxe Interiors + Design, Galerie, and NewBeauty. Materials Innovation brands include global materials consultancy, Material Connexion, game-changing material sampling and logistics platform, Material Bank, and materials reclamation program, Sample Loop. SANDOW brands also include research and strategy firm, ThinkLab, experiential platform, Creative House (2019), and iconic retailer, Fred Segal. In 2019, SANDOW was selected by the New York Economic Development Council of New York to become the official operator or NYCxDESIGN Week, beginning in 2020.