The Materials Sourcing and Research Specialist will provide support to the research team in obtaining the necessary samples and research for the numerous Material ConneXion libraries around the world as well as for consulting clients.
The successful candidate will interact with every aspect of our materials business: resource vendors looking for new ways to promote their innovations, designers and brands looking to create better products, and consulting clients that include start-ups as well as Fortune 100 companies.
The Materials Sourcing and Research Specialist will report to the Executive Vice President, Research and will work closely with the Director of Operations to ensure material samples are appropriate for production for Material ConneXion libraries worldwide.
The ideal candidate will be required to develop an understanding of the material challenges facing our clients and how the materials in our library can support their solution-finding. While this can be taught, candidates must possess a fundamental curiosity and be able to learn, and expand on, basic principles of materiality.
- Liaise with global manufacturers to obtain performance data and material samples
- Work with the Materials Specialists and Scientists to ensure recently adopted technologies in the Material ConneXion library are represented with sufficient material samples
- Support Material Research staff in various initiatives including jury material preparation and consultancy-related initiatives
- Update material, manufacturer and client information in Material ConneXion’s proprietary databases/tools
- Prepare, organize, and label materials in advance of client demonstrations, events, and speaking engagements
- Regularly review and prepare shipments to clients and production facility, guaranteeing organized and thorough communication of materials included in each shipment (including the production and management of packing lists)
- 3+ years experience in supply chain, procurement, or material sourcing
- Interest in materials strongly encouraged
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills
- Willingness to engage in phone calls with suppliers to quickly and efficiently resolve material and sample inquiries
- Outstanding organizational skills
- Detail oriented