At Material ConneXion, the world’s leading materials library and consultancy, a global team of materials scientists and experts help creatives across industries—from fashion to architecture to automotive—find inspiration for their next big idea in design, through access to over 8,000 innovative and advanced materials.
The Materials Sourcing and Research Specialist will provide sourcing and research support for the consulting team in finding and providing data and samples for the numerous Material ConneXion libraries around the world as well as for consulting clients. They will also need to provide written reports and presentations for client consumption.
The successful candidate will interact with every aspect of our materials business: resource vendors looking for new ways to promote their innovations, designers and brands looking to create better products, and consulting clients ranging from start-up to Fortune 100.
The Materials Sourcing and Research Specialist will report to the Head of Research.
- Liaise with new manufacturers globally to obtain data and material samples.
- Work with the Materials Specialists and Scientists to ensure recently adopted technologies in the Material ConneXion library are represented with sufficient material samples.
- Meet with resource vendors (manufacturers of materials) to assess their solutions for our audience and library.
- Research and present new materials each month to our jury panel for potential inclusion into the library.
- Provide research support to Materials Specialists and Scientists.
- Update material, manufacturer and client information in Material ConneXion approved tools.
Working with Material ConneXion members and consulting clients:
- Provide recommendations of material solutions to clients of MC from within the library
- Provide consulting support for clients as part of Material ConneXion’s ‘expert-on-call’ and consulting projects.
- Present visual and hands-on demonstrations and speeches to various audiences on materials.
- Provide written reports and presentations for client consumption.
- 3+ years’ experience in the design or related industry
- Materials Science degree or equivalent (will consider Industrial design degree if sufficient materials knowledge can be demonstrated)
- Excellent materials knowledge
- Design industry understanding
- Experience in presentation and demonstration skills
SANDOW was founded by visionary entrepreneur, Adam Sandow, in 2003 with the goal of building a truly innovative media company that would reinvent the traditional publishing model. Today, SANDOW is a fully integrated solutions platform powering innovation for the design and luxury industries. Its diverse portfolio of design media and technology companies include Interior Design, Luxe Interiors + Design, Metropolis, Galerie, and NewBeauty. Materials Innovation brands include global materials consultancy, Material ConneXion, and game-changing material sampling, logistics and sustainability platform, Material Bank. SANDOW brands also include a research and strategy firm, ThinkLab. In 2019, SANDOW was selected by the New York Economic Development Corporation to become the official operator of NYCxDESIGN, beginning in 2020.