Material Bank, the world’s largest material library, is seeking a Materials Specialist to support designers and architects who are active users of the Material Bank platform in the Chicago region.
In this role, the Materials Specialist will be responsible for user training and onboarding as well as maintaining a relationship with designers and architects by providing research assistance, making material recommendations, and exposing designers to exciting new materials as they become available within Material Bank. The successful candidate will have a vast depth of knowledge and expertise in identifying materials within specific categories (i.e. textiles, wallcoverings, flooring, etc.) and their attributes. This is a home-based position, working with a close-knit team dispersed throughout the country.
- Conduct online trainings focused on the “how-tos” of the Material Bank platform
- Educate and support users as they specify and research within Material Bank’s digital library
- Manage inbound requests for research assistance via email, phone, or chat
- Evaluate new materials as they are added to Material Bank and seek opportunities to share with users
- Establish a strong and loyal user base by becoming an invaluable specifying partner
- Become a subject matter expert in their specified material category
- Study and learn materials at a very nuanced level
- 5+ years’ experience conducting material specification and/or researching materials (within a least one core material category)
- A passion for materials, love for the design industry and a true “people person”
- Ability to work quickly and accurately with an open and adaptable work ethic
- Active participation in industry associations, attendance at trade shows, or other industry related organizations
- Have a current and comprehensive understanding of the design and materials industry
- Familiarity with material fabrication and finishing processes
- Fluent in English with strong written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of performance and building standards for commercial interiors within the United States and Europe
- Experience in an architecture and design firm for a minimum of 2 years
- Ability to understand and interpret performance test reports
- Basic understanding of material ingredients and their environmental and health impacts
- Having held a position as a Resource Librarian is a plus
At SANDOW, we push the boundaries of creativity every day. Our mission is to build smart businesses driven by innovation and designers that deliver powerful products, services and experiences to a highly selective audience. Our brands cater to everyone from the country's most affluent individuals to beauty and fashion enthusiasts, from design experts to design devotees.
Whether it's our beautifully produced magazines, our industry events and conferences or our materials library and consulting services, SANDOW informs, inspires and engages discerning consumers and businesses in design, beauty, fashion and luxury.