Metropolis is the architecture and design industry’s most compelling storyteller. We take our audiences behind the scenes, explain breakthrough ideas, and keep them ahead of the curve. Through our in-depth print stories, lively digital platform, and nationwide event series, we tackle the biggest challenges and opportunities in architecture and design, from technology disruption to sustainability and climate change.
The Senior Editor plans and shapes all product- and technology-related content in print and online. Additionally, the senior editor is the project manager for two publications: Specify and NYCxDESIGN magazine.
The Senior Editor reports to the Editor in Chief, and works closely with the creative team on content planning and production, and with the events team on speaking engagements.
- Plan and shape all product, technology, and materials coverage, including regular feature articles and columns.
- Curate and produce the Productsphere section of the magazine, and other columns.
- Collaborate with the editorial team on all content planning.
- Share web editorial duties and social media duties with the other editors, including assigning and posting web-only stories on a regular basis.
- Maintain industry relationships, attends trade fairs and events on behalf of Metropolis, and represent the brand at industry events.
- Support content creation for select Metropolis events, and speak at such events as necessary.
- Work with the Editor in Chief to plan and produce NYCxDESIGN magazine, Specify, and other special projects as necessary.
- Contribute feature articles, columns, and web-only stories on a wide range of topics.
- Identify and pursue any key topics and trends for the A&D industry, pitching and producing stories on those areas of interest.
- Cultivate writers and freelancers who can reliably produce high quality content for Metropolis and other SANDOW brands.
- Be a resource for other SANDOW brands when appropriate.
- Strong organizational and project management skills, and the ability to manage multiple projects efficiently
- Strong understanding of commercial interior design. Knowledge of architecture is a plus.
- Deep affinity for sustainable architecture and design.
- Previous experience in a similar role, or four years experience in content production or project management.
- Superior writing, editing, and communication skills and the ability to ask big-picture questions.
- High motivation and ability to identify; plan; and execute projects through collaboration with a small team.
SANDOW was founded by visionary entrepreneur, Adam Sandow, in 2003 with the goal of building a truly innovative media company that would reinvent the traditional publishing model. Today, SANDOW is a fully integrated solutions platform powering innovation for the design and luxury industries. Its diverse portfolio of design media and technology companies include Interior Design, Luxe Interiors + Design, Metropolis, Galerie, and NewBeauty. Materials Innovation brands include global materials consultancy, Material ConneXion, and game-changing material sampling, logistics and sustainability platform, Material Bank. SANDOW brands also include a research and strategy firm, ThinkLab. In 2019, SANDOW was selected by the New York Economic Development Corporation to become the official operator of NYCxDESIGN, beginning in 2020.